Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sluggish Sunday

So this morning when the alarm jostled me awake at 4:40, I started with the excuses:
  • *My legs hurt.
  • *I started yesterday.
  • *Far West Soccer Regionals are today and I should really go with Steve & Robyn.
But then I remembered that last Saturday my long run was "only" five miles. Today I would just have to add one more mile and suddenly I was ok with it because I was going about the same distance only a little further.  Oh how I love how our brains work!



So out the door I went and after a quick stretch of my calves, I was off. At about a half mile into it my right knee started to protest but quickly gave in and I was off and running at a comfy pace. I've done some research and not only does poor electrolyte balance cause calf cramps, but so does increasing your pace too quickly. I still believe that even though my Nike+ says I'm running a 9:45 minute mile, it does not mean my body can handle it for very long. I'm not big on speed because everyone who knows me is aware that I don't run for speed but so I can eat, alot. :o) Yes, running clears my mind from all its clutter and its done wonders for my body but I really only run so I can eat frosting and not feel any guilt over it. :o)



!  So at about mile 5, this is what I get to run by. My absolute favorite take out Mexican food place. Filiberto's! For my CA friends, it's identical to the Alberto's you guys have out there. I could smell them frying up the chorizo for the breakfast burritos. It was absolute torture but seeing that I only had one mile to go I felt it would be ok to stop for a photo. We used to be there so much that my husband is now good friends with the owner, Caesar, who's a really nice guy! If you're ever in there, be sure to say hi and be sure to try the carne asada burrito! It's to die for!

My time for today's run was not my best but I'm just glad to get it done! From doorstep back to doorstep it was a 6.01 mile run with 85 degrees and a light breeze. I'm not gonna lie, it was not easy and I think my calves were going to play games but all in all, it was not the worst run either.



When I finished I was sweaty and I was happy! Those 2 are a great combo for me and now I can take on the day with gusto! :o) Well, I was happy until I walked in the door to this:




Yep, this is Kitty, The Great Scorpion Hunter. And, this is his stance when he's stalking a scorpion. So apparently there's one somewhere by my front door. I hunched over to see if I could see anything and went back outside to see if it was just outside my door. Nothing.... yet. I'm sure I'll catch him paw-smacking one to death later. :o/ As annoying as I find our cat to be, he has kept us scorpion free since he's been with us so he can stay. :o)


So earlier I had mentioned that I could go to the Far West Regional Championship game with Steve & Robyn. To make a very long story short, Robyn made the A team in her age group for her soccer club in May of this year. Later in the month that team won the State Championship and qualified to play in the Far West Regional Tournament here in Arizona. Well, they made it as far as the quarter finals and that is great because this little team has never made it this far. Robyn's name on the left is printed on the official t-shirts that were sold at the tournament this past week. Of course she was able to charm her dad into buying her one. So here it is, my daughters name printed on a t-shirt for a prestigious tournament that will be worn by soccer players and fans all over the country. I'm very proud of her and the entire team. These girls play with incredible heart and I'm just glad that Robyn gets to experience what she's been working so hard for.  :o)

Well, I'm off to run some quick errands. Happy Day to you all! :o)


What's your favorite Mexican take-out place?

Are you afraid of scorpions?






1 comment:

  1. Wow, congrats to Robyn! And good on you for getting outside and getting your run on!! It's not easy, especially when it's this hot and we have to get up so early to get it done! :-(

    ReplyDelete