Thursday, July 5, 2012

Treadmille-ville


Sitting right here in front of my PC and typing on my keyboard is someone who is tremendously fond of running on a treadmill. Call me crazy.... because I know I am, but the treadmill has been one of the biggest contributors to my success in running. Well, at least I think so.... Anyway, a few months after embarking on my fitness journey, summer hit Arizona and I was not interested in running thru 100+ degree weather at all. My commitment to running was not yet what it is now, so getting up at 4am to hit the pavement was something I so was not ready to do then. Soooo, I headed over to the local Rec center where my love affair with Mr. Treadmill began. I was a little nervous at first because I'd heard the stories of people falling off and I did not want to humiliate myself. I began very slowly, almost walking, to running at a decent speed and really enjoyed watching the mileage on the machine increase as I ran. 90% of my Sole Sisters and Brothers detest running on the treadmill because it's monotonous and not as exciting as running outside. Well, like everything in life, to each their own, because I love it. I trained almost exclusively on the treadmill for my first half marathon and finished in great time! A good friend of mine, who happened to play for the US Women's National Soccer Team and then went on to play pro for the San Diego Spirit, is an avid treadmill runner. I figure, if it's good enough for a former professional athlete, it's good enough for me! ;o) Don't get me wrong, running outdoors is awesome... Especially when it isn't blazing saddles out there, but I will never knock the treadmill. That precious machine has a very special place in my corazon and has been very important in helping me to be the runner I am today. :o)

As of April I canceled my membership to the rec center and joined Planet Fitness, where I keep looking for, but can't seem to find this guy:



I don't think he even works out there because I have never seen him. Hmmmm!

The decision to leave the rec center was tough but also a no brainer because Planet Fitness is much cheaper and I ONLY use the treadmill at any gym I go to anyway. They don't offer any classes but that's OK because there is absolutely NOTHING better than The PITT in the East Valley, in my opinion. I know this won't be the case when I head back to work, but I've been training there mid-day and it's empty! Yay! :o)



Have you ever trained on a treadmill? If so, share your thoughts.





No comments:

Post a Comment